Ofqual -Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation
The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) is a regulatory board of qualifications, examinations and assessments in the UK. Ofqual also regulates the vocational qualification in Northern Ireland. It is accountable for all the accredited certifications and assessment to ensure it to meet its high quality standard. And necessary actions are taken by monitoring awarding organizations, examinations and assessments to make sure that these qualifications meets the needs of learners, institute of higher education and employers. The Parliament of UK and Northern Ireland Assembly directly regulates and monitors Ofqual’s activity and is held responsible for its actions.
History of Ofqual
Ofqual got its official establishment with the Apprenticeships, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009 when it was named as the regulator for qualifications, examinations and assessments. Back in 2007, Ed Balls the secretary of state at that time for children, Schools and Families declared replacement of the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) with a brand new independent regulatory board. The new regulatory board began its interim work in April, 2008. After that the regulatory board officially started to work independently from 1 April 2010.
The independent Ofqual regulatory board is responsible to ensure the following things:
• The demonstration of student’s understanding, skills and knowledge being reliably indicated by this regulated qualifications.
• The achievements of students through their assessments and exams
• Building confidence of the people over their regulated qualifications.
• Complete idea and information on the full range of qualifications to the student and teachers.
Ofqual’s goals & objectives
Ofqual has set some goals & objectives for 2017 to 2020
1st Goal: General Qualifications reforming & regulating.
• General qualifications regulation for the validity.
• Supervising the reformation of general qualifications.
2nd Goal; Vocational & technical qualification regulating & reforming
• Support regulations to reform the vocational and technical qualifications
• Validate regulation of the vocational & technical qualifications.
3rd goal: Validity of National Assessment to be kept under constant review
• Monitoring and evaluating the National Assessments on regular basis
4th goal: Manage People, resource and systems developments
• Developing effective & efficient management of resources, systems and people.